Saturday, January 5, 2008

Other ways of procrastinating

I’ve always wanted to start a blog, but didn’t know what I should write about. My more lofty ideas (writing on education, new media, the environment, etc.) seemed like they’d just be a lot of work.

I’ve also wanted to quit TV but never had the guts to pull the trigger on that resolution. There was always some good reason to keep the cable hooked up (Buffy, Battlestar Galactica).

But in the midst of the writer’s strike, I found myself looking forward to the new American Gladiators. Big red flag.

So hey, I didn’t intend to disavow TV and start a blog as a New Year’s resolution —it’s just a coincidence! My blog is called "stead of" because maybe this is what I’ll do instead of watching TV. Also, I couldn’t think of just one thing to write about, and “things that are not TV” is a pretty broad category, so I'm not limited in the number of topics I could write about.

Ironically, I may find myself writing about my relationship to TV, watching YouTube as a substitute for TV, or spending as much time procrastinating online as I ever did watching TV. Cut me some slack, I’m a life-long addict!

 
Copyright 2008