Saturday, March 8, 2008

Blindness is Coming


When I read José Saramago's Blindness, in which an entire city goes blind, with the exception of one woman, I hoped it would be made into a movie. Because nearly everyone in the story was blind, I envisioned it being done as an animated film in which characters appeared as indistinct, lightly outlined white figures on a white background, except for the viewpoint of the only sighted character, which would be done in full color and detail. I envisioned it being animated by the same team that did Richard Linklater's Waking Life and A Scanner Darkly.

I never thought Blindness would actually be done as a full feature length film, but I guess Nobel Prize winning authors get optioned a lot. The film drops on August 8, 2008 and stars Mark Ruffalo, Julianne Moore, Gael García Bernal, Sandra Oh, and Danny Glover. Given that it's directed by Fernando Meirelles, who won an Oscar for City of God, it's bound to be good.

Here's a blog about the movie kept by the director himself featuring stills from the movie, and for those of you who don't read Portuguese, a translation from blogger Nathaniel R.

1 comment:

Alder Yarrow said...

OMG. This totally just made my month. I can't believe it.

 
Copyright 2008