Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Video Games to Improve Your Self-Confidence

Who meets with more rejection than a telemarketer? I took a job in college trying to get alumni to donate money to the school. With every "no thanks," I was more tentative. I think I got three donations over the course of the quarter.

Thankfully, for myself and my company, I don't have a sales job, but you might. If so, you may want to listen to this story on NPR I heard as I was driving home today. A professor named Mark Baldwin started a game company called MindHabits based on studies he conducted at McGill University. He and his grad students wondered if he could reduce social stress (does that other person think ill of me?) by playing a game, so they created a game where players needed to find the one smiling face among 15 grumpy ones. They tested it with telemarketers and found that their levels of cortisol, a hormone associated with stress, dropped 17% after playing it just five minutes a day for a week. Not only that, they were rated as more self-confident, and they made more sales.

Their website was swamped by the time I got home. I guess every despondent sales rep driving home this evening tried to download the game tonight.

No comments:

 
Copyright 2008