Wednesday, January 9, 2008

No More Nights on the Couch Together?

My husband and I used to watch TV together. We had our shows. There was Survivor, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Sopranos, Sex in the City, Battlestar Galactica, Grey's Anatomy. There were a few he watched on his own, like The Wire or Rescue Me.

My husband no longer watches TV. There were two turning points for him.

1) He just got too busy with school in 2007. First, he started prioritizing his shows. Eventually, even his favorites fell away--he didn't even have time to catch up on Battlestar Galactica, Lost or Heroes when they were recorded on TiVo. I would call out and say I was watching it and he'd say go on without me. Then, he just fell too behind to catch up and I'd either fill him in, or pause it when he walked in the room so he could enjoy it on DVD if he chose to catch up later. At most, he'd watch The Colbert Report, My Name is Earl, or The Office--nothing with a long story arc.

2) He started using Google Reader to review any and every blog and RSS feed in the world (morning ritual) and found an abundance of online games (nighttime ritual--I can hear him now). The Internet is his god now.

He would often put down my TV habit, because the internet was so much more active and engaging. Perhaps, but I would say, no less addictive. He cannot go a day without it.

He has more time now that school is over, but we will not be watching TV shows together in the forseeable future--he has no interest in anything but the internet, and I have forsworn TV. The best we might do is, per my new rules, rent or buy shows for our computers or DVD. More likely, though, on any given night we will be sitting at our mutual laptops, typing away. At least we can bring our laptops into the same room.

Speaking of Google Reader, I learned this morning that my husband now subscribes to my blog. So honey, I am thinking we ought to establish one internet-free night a week, what do you say?
 
Copyright 2008