Friday, September 5, 2008

Where Have I Been?

I don't have many readers who would notice how my posts have trickled off over the last two weeks but I feel I must explain. I recently accepted a new job. It's not that the new job is keeping me busy--I haven't even started. It's more like the second that I got that new job a couple of weeks ago, I didn't feel as compelled to blog. My husband says it's also when I started to smile at home again. It was like a great weight was lifted off of me. So why would news of a new job lead me blog less?

I think I needed a distracting outlet from the stress of my job situation, something I had control over, an escape. TV was probably that outlet in the past, but in the last three months or so, I would instead come home from work and immediately start to blog; I would wake up on Saturdays and compulsively surf and blog. Part of me felt like I should be putting in a couple more hours of extra work in the evening and weekend, but as soon as I sat down at my computer, I'd procrastinate and post. Soon it would be 9 PM or Sunday night. I wouldn't have done anything else, like chores or work out. Blogging was getting to be just as bad as my TV watching.

I think I also thought my hobby might lead to a new career. Understanding how Google Ads work, learning about the ripe frontier of "internet TV," practicing my writing, figuring out what content was attracting readers using Google Analytics--not only was it fascinating, it felt like it could become a marketable skill. Had I not gotten this job, I might have even tried to get a job at YouTube or Current.

This is not to say that I won't be blogging anymore, or that if I do start it up more regularly, it's because I hate my new job. I think blogging is good. I like to write about things I find funny or compelling or that I think other people would find interesting. But at least at this moment, I don't feel compelled to blog the way I was for the last few months and I think that's a positive thing.

No comments:

 
Copyright 2008